Labels

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Istanbul,Turkey by Kayley


A snowy day at the waterfront whith a mosque in the background.
             I really like Istanbul.  It’s been one of the better places we’ve been. The food is really good.  The transportation is clean and our apartment is awesome. I also really like that Istanbul is right next to lots of water and I really like  the mosques and the old buildings.

The veiw of Galata tower from our window.
          The apartment that we are staying at is right next to the Galata tower. Our apartment really needs some color because its all white or grey but it is clean and warm. The apartment has a really good view of Galata Tower and a rubbish heap which is actually kinda pretty covered in snow. There are three bedrooms and that means every one has to share a room but we all get our own beds. Mia and I are sharing the room with a window facing the tower. the tower is really pretty at night because a bunch of blue and brown lights shine on it.  Mia likes to leave her clothes everywhere and I have to pick it all up. Our apartment has it's pluses and minuses but mostly its a great place to stay.

            The food  that the  Turkish restaurants serve is really good. For exsample, the restaurant we went to on the first night had really good pizzas and the raviolis were floating in a rich, creamy sauce. I’ve noticed that the restaurants serve lots of Italian food like pizza and pastas ALSO. Yesterday I tried the apple tea and it tastes like apple cider.  It’s really good. I really miss being able to eat vegetables and in Turkey, we can. Also, the atmosphere  in the shops and restaurants is usually warm, calm and cozy. Warm places are really important when its cold out and I think that warm shops and restraunts are a perfect rest stop after an afternoon full of cold stone mosques.
Starbucks and our Galata tower.
            The transport  in Istanbul is very similar to Singapore because there’s the tram system ,cars and lots of walkers. For the tram, you have to pay two Turkish leer to get a tram token and you need a token to get on to the platform. And there are tram stops about every 550 meters to 1 km.  The tram reminds me of the MRT in Singapore, which is practically the tram but underground. 

            Istanbul has been really great so far, even the snow is kinda nice. My favorite part of Istanbul is the apple tea and the food. I also really like that Istanbul is surrounded by water and I really like the architecture and history. 
by Kayley Sienna Rolph

   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayley--Sorry we couldn't have a better conversation with you guys, but it's been great to at least see you! This post is even better because it tells me lots that i didn't know even after we talked.

    I knew it was cold in Istanbul, but had no idea it was as cold as the pictures show!! I bet you all have all your clothes on at once! But it looks sunny and the Starbucks apple tea will warm you up. I was also glad to hear that this apartment was a winner--warm and cozy. And 3 bedrooms isn't bad.

    Gramps and I were also glad to hear that you had had a nice dinner w. Ilter and had gotten a good driving tour of the city. That must have been warm, too.

    I agree with you on the food. Turkish food is wonderful. All the ingredients are super fresh--especially the fish. I also love the spices they use--not only spicy spices, but also cinnamon and sweeter spices. Their fruit is usually also good--but maybe not in the winter. Go to the spice bazaar and just sniff...

    So, enjoy Topkapi Palace and whatever else you still have to see. Stay warm. And keep us up to date on your whereabouts.
    much, much love, bippy

    ReplyDelete