Labels

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Religious Windy Adventure

That's me whith the frescos and wooden chairs.
           The other day my family and I saw monastery, a fort and a bunch of churches near modern day Sparta in Greece.  All of the buildings we saw were on the same hill near Sparta called Mystras.  The fort was at the top and the Monastery and Churches were below. When we were seeing the monastery and fort, it got so windy that whenever I took a step, I was scared that I might go flying.

          Some of the building we saw was ruins of stone churches or ruins of stone churches. Some of the ruined churches didn’t have roofs but almost all of the churches had fresco paintings on the wall or ceiling, if there were any. There was a couple of Churches that were obviously still running because there’s velvet curtains, painted and carved wood, candles and candle holders. Two of the still running churches had people in them to collect the donations. In those churches, we couldn’t light candles or we’d have to donate or pay. The ceilings of the churches were all high and arched most of them had arches on either side of the inside of the buildings. A very few churches still have the mosaics on the floors. We saw the church of saint Georgios, Saint Nickoloas, and the Metropolis (Saint Demetrios).  We saw a bunch more, but I can’t remember their names.

there's the frescos of the saints.
          Along with the awesome but somewhat ruined churches, we saw a monastery called the Monastery of Vrontochion. It looked like people were still living in the monastery.  I could tell because there was a long line of doors in a long, rectangular building. In front of some doors, there were welcome mats and potted plants and cats. The monastery also had a chapel called Saint Sophia. The Saint Sophia is the monastery’s cathedral church and it wasn’t as unique as I thought it was going to be. There were some cool frescos along the walls and ceiling of saints suffering. I suppose the saints weren’t very happy at the time in the pictures. There also were some carved wood chairs and wood bible holders around the room that were interesting.  Although the Bibles were in different languages they were quite interesting.  The monastery was a very peaceful place and I enjoyed looking around in it.    
That's one example of the wind.

            After the monastery, we climbed up to the Citadel “castle” at the top of the hill. The citadel was all ruins, though I didn’t get a good look at it, because it was really windy. I think the wind might have been worse than Mount Washington.  The wind came in huge gusts of pure power that landed all of us on our butts.  What I could see of the citadel, was a couple of tumbled down walls and lots of big stones jutting out of the ground. Although my expectations for the citadel at Mystras were a bit higher than what I saw, I was not disappointed.

          The citadel on top of the hill was a very windy adventure but allrigh tin my opinion. Although the religious buildings in Mystras were a bit disappointing I thought the tour of the hill was a nice but somewhat ruffling adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Kayley--the pictures sure do show that it's blowing up there. Loved the one with Sarah's hair taking off!

    I'm sure by now that you are so into Italy that you hardly remember what you wrote about Greece--so I won't dwell on that--but only say that I hope you're having a grand time eating good pasta and seeing more and more and more churches. [Somehow, you never quite see them all!]
    love, love, bippy

    ReplyDelete