Labels

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Temple of Poseidon by Zander

My dad posing like the statue in the Clash of the Titans in front of the temple.

                The ancient Greeks built great temples for their gods. They (if they could) put the temple for the god near something that the god represents.  That is why the Temple of Poseidon is near the ocean. It is in ruins because of an earthquake when the Greek empire was crumbling. My family and I went, because we had an extra day in Greece. We had gone to all the sights that my mom had planned, like the Acropolis, Olympia, Sparta, and Delphi. So my dad said that we should go to the temple.  Most temples have a complex around them. For instance the Temple of Zeus in Olympia has a gym, and race track, bath house, sleeping quarters, and lots of olive trees. Poseidon’s temple has a complex, but it is much smaller.  I thought that it was pretty cool. It was built with a wall all around it, with towers. It must have doubled as a fort.  The temple of Poseidon is not as amazing as the Acropolis, but it is much more relaxing to visit.
I'm chillin by the temple, and having a snack.

                The temple of Poseidon is located about an hour away from Athens. Since it isn’t a major attraction, not as many tourists go there. The temple of Poseidon supposedly had a great statue near it, in Clash of the Titans the movie.  There was a statue that was discovered under water, but it was much smaller than the one in the movie. Plus, we don’t know what god it was. I first learned about when we were at a museum. I saw a picture and I asked Ron “what is that a picture of”. He told me that it was the Temple of Poseidon.  The sight was relaxing because it was by the ocean and there weren’t any shops and it wasn’t crowded. I relaxed and sat on a rock and drunk lots of water It was a relief to relax at the temple without being rushed and have to do anything.

                The temple of Poseidon is a really neat place to go because it isn’t as crowded as the Acropolis, it has beautiful scenery, and it is more intact then the Acropolis. All the gods have a compound that is dedicated to them. Some Gods are the patron gods of some cities. Even the gods that isn’t as important as Zeus and Poseidon, like Dionysus the god of wine and party’s.  The Greeks built some really cool temples dedicated to their gods. The temple of Poseidon is a great example of a great Greek works. With its pictures location. Lots of cool ruins and I am really glad that I went.
The actual statue that they found under water near the temple with Sarah posing in front of it in the Archeological museum in Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment